Our 22nd Anniversary is tomorrow February 25th.
I am so lucky to have been able to spend 25 year’s with my dream man. We dated for 3 years before we got married on that Winter storm day 22 years ago. The day that changed my life forever. I got to marry MY dream man and spend forever with the person who “got me” who made me feel safe and supported my dreams and goals. Had the same morals and we fit, we’re better people for having each other. He’s my perfect lid as the saying goes…I truly believe everyone has a perfect lid for there pot…if you wait your’s will cross your path in Gods perfect timing.
People say Marriage is hard…..hmmm I would answer “depends on who you marry!” Marriage in my experience has been a wonderful, loving, joyful and caring endeavor. Don’t get me wrong Life is hard… not marriage. Life isn’t always roses and butterflies we all have hard issues that come up. Whether it’s your health, finances, children issues and even families. There’s always things that take us on life’s roller coaster, it’s who’s on the ride with you that can make marriage easy or hard. When you find that perfect lid, getting through life’s hard times can make it easier. I can honestly say we’re lucky…we don’t fight or bicker and rarely disagree. We seem to have always been on the same page and truly like each other. He’s my best friend and I enjoy spending time with him. I couldn’t imagine life without him. Still to this day he gives me butterflies when he walks through that door!
Hitting 22 years of marriage is a true blessing. In today’s age 50% of marriages won’t make it to 10. I really think being able to grow together as we age is one of the tickets. Taking time for our relationship along the journey helps you stay connected to each other. It’s hard to take time for yourself and your relationship when raising a family and both working full time. It’s something you must do. Going on dates, little getaway’s and even time alone at home is great for staying connected. Remember to also take time out for yourself and allow him to do the same. This gives you both time, to do things you love that maybe your spouse doesn’t. Plus having friends is good for your soul. (yes… it’s ok to enjoy different activities!) My Hubby lives, breathes and works in Ski boots! Yuck!! I don’t love to ski…It hurts my feet! I can ski (not like my husband or our boys) but I ski…on pretty sunny Spring skiing day’s! I don’t love Winter and I really don’t like being cold. Yes… We moved to Utah from California 11 years ago. Going off on another subject..and I could go on and on about our big move and how it changed our lives in so many ways. Most for the best, but I’ll talk about that another time. Now back to Marriage…
I had a list in my head of the perfect man (do or did you?) Ben checked everything off on that list plus things I never could have thought of…. Except 1 thing he’s not romantic..hehehe If you know me it’s a running little joke… he’s thoughtful and caring and sexy has hell, but not romantic! I am not going to get flowers for no reason, great gifts just because, a warm bath drawn or beautiful written notes. But I do get a cup of hot tea in the morning and if it’s not ski season I get breakfast in bed on Sunday’s. He cooks, does laundry, is tidy and always removes ALL the snow to the cement! (Remember I don’t like Winter or ice on my drive way or walk way’s) He keeps my car detailed and would do anything I asked for help with…even if it’s to paint a bedroom for the 5th time. So some would say thats romantic! Well…..wait tell you find out he never asked me to marry him!!! Yup it’s true we’ve been married for 22 years and I was never purposed to!!! I was robbed..OX (that’s another story)
So about that perfect day 22 year’s ago… It was the Biggest snowstorm in Big Bear had had in many year’s….Not so perfect to me, talk about stressed! Wedding day’s are so stressful all that planning and preparing for the perfect fairy tail day. Having things go wrong that is out of your control. Choosing joy over stress and by seeing the positive in the negative is how you find the joy…My perfect day or was it? It’s all attitude
We looked so young! I was 25… Look at my hair it’s past my elbows! I don’t think I could have gotten a bigger headpiece!!!
The most perfect day ever❤
- He cried when he saw me walking down the isle
2. He kissed me as soon as I got to him😘 “ Pastor Fred said”that’s later Ben!”
3. My mom stopped the wedding… because my 10ft train was standing in the hall😜 ( my sister didn’t snap in on correct💕) So we had a start over😜😜😜
4. It was the biggest snow storm in years! I was panicked all day, our photographer, cake and guest weren’t going to make it to the destination! They did… ( Well some of the guest got stuck😜)
5. My brother had to carry me on his back to the venue from the bridal suite… the snow was so deep❄
6. We got married by candlelight at 6:00pm❤ The flowers were stunning, my cousin sang, all my loved ones were there. It really was like a moment that stood in time💕
7. I danced with my grandpa to Unforgettable by Nat King Cole.
8. My aunt crash her car into another guests❄❄❄ just slide right down the hill!
9. My mom recorded the most beautiful & thoughtful speech ever! (she had to record it because she knew she’d cry saying it live!
10. I married my sole-mate and he still gives me butterflies
11. The day couldn’t have been more perfect💕 Well… I should have change my vail! (But it was 1996!)
12. I hope you take away from this …. that while not everything IS perfect… We can make it perfect:) It’s just how we handle the situation and keep the right perspective
13. I got my perfect day I married my dream man❤💍 even though there was no romantic proposal!
14. All my husbands Dutch relatives surprised us from Holland!
15.Wait for it….Because I am a sport and I love this man….He skied fresh powder the next morning with all his buds! How could I let him miss 5 feet of fresh powder!!!
Happy 22nd Anniversary @skicoachben 🥂here’s to many more!
About Celebrating tomorrow….
We are headed to Salt Lake to enjoy a nice dinner and A night alone at the Hotel Monaco a Kimpton Hotel then Martinis at the Martini bar across the street. Monday we will have a full day at the spa so looking forward to that.
My Skirt is by Sara Boo, shoes- Chinese Laundry, clutch, earrings & turtleneck – Tjmax
Flowers – Emie James
Large heart- Olivewood designs
Pearl bracelets- Nordstrom
black jacket feather sleeve- Tj Max
Bow shoes- Just fab
I hope you find your lid! Ox, D’Arcy